[FFmpeg-user] Dual Xeon VS Haswell-E, maximize fps

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Sun Sep 28 13:23:03 CEST 2014

On 28 Sep 2014, at 13:13, Henk D. Schoneveld <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2014, at 18:36, Ryan M <rymerrick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am putting together hardware to encode a large and ever growing catalog
>> of video using ffmpeg/x264.  Much of the source video is 1080p ProResHQ.
>> Currently I have a box with a Haswell 4770k CPU which gets around 12-15
>> fps, I am of course looking to increase that as much as possible.
> Have a look at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-5960X+%40+3.00GHz&id=2332
> and compare with
> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4770K+%40+3.50GHz&id=1919
> or in 1 view
> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1919&cmp[]=2364
> 7 times the price for less then 2 times the performance.
> Spreading the task over more much cheaper CPU’s gives you more bang for the buck if realtime encoding isn’t needed.
> You could use 8 Dual Celeron systems to get the same performance as 1  E5-2690 where CPU cost would be 8x52.45 vs. 1x2299.99 Of course motherboards etc are needed and housing but a low cost MB and Housing  can be bought at < 100.00 a piece. 8*(100+52.45) ~ 1220.00
> Saved more then $1.000 And the Xeon still needs a motherboard and case of course.
The CPU Mark and single thread performance are good indicators for relative ffmpeg encoding speeds. I do have i5 i7 and the named Celerons which I compared extensively with the same source files and encoding parameters.
Disk I/O isn’t any problem, think of it, 5 times BluRay bitrates results in 90Kb/s < 12MB/s. Every modern disk has no problem with that and even old-fashioned nics, 100Mb/s can cope with that.