[FFmpeg-user] libvo-amrwbenc.so.0: cannot open shared object file

Claudiu Rad jazzman at misalpina.net
Tue Sep 30 11:26:48 CEST 2014

On 9/30/2014 12:09 PM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:03:29 +0300, Claudiu Rad wrote:
>> what is so wrong about building ffmpeg static binaries as root on a
> The other way around: What's wrong with building as non-root?
>
> For one, as root, you risk ruining your system with one wrong command.
> (Ooops, forgot to specify an install prefix and overwrote the
> installation. Oops, I issued "rm -rf *" in the wrong directory.) And
> that's just the simple case.
>
> General security rule: Use only as much/many privileges as required at
> any point in time. Escalate only when necessary. (E.g. "sudo make
> install" if you happen to install into a location not writable by the
> regular user.)

Totally agree with you, don't get me wrong.
But there are cases where it just doesn't matter.
I have a ffmpeg-build dedicated VM, quickly setup from scratch, maybe a
snapshot with all in place in case I break something, it's just about
the comfort of not bothering to create new users, not sudo-ing when you
need something, etc. A quick/experimental setup.
Again, it is a special situation, and on regular situations I totally
agree with you and good practices. But the point is, we can't blame
absolutely everyone building as root as being puke-enabling users, when
actually we should *strongly *recommend them to build as non-root unless
they know what they are doing and actually focus on their problems not
the user used during ffmpeg build.