[FFmpeg-user] Reading tcp streaming output format

Shmuel Cohen scohen at softwaresecure.com
Fri Apr 17 20:45:12 CEST 2015

I’m trying to write a TCP server to receive the output from my webcam:

./ffmpeg -f avfoundation -i "0:0" -f mpeg1video -b:v 800k -r 30 -s 320x240 tcp://localhost:8080

I’m looking to parse out the streamed jpeg images, apply some processing to them, and then pass these along to another process.

Is there documentation that will help me decipher the output of FFMPEG as it’s ‘broadcasting’ the video stream?  I’m interested in finding the jpeg image boundaries, but I’m somewhat stumped as to the formatting of the stream at this point.