[FFmpeg-user] Adding embedded metadata to v210.mov

Kieran O'Leary kieran.oleary at irishfilm.ie
Tue Aug 4 18:17:13 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 10:21:30 -0400, Dave Rice wrote:
>You could try:
>ffmpeg -i  uncommented.mov -map 0 -c copy -metadata comment="your comments here" commented.mov

Thanks Dave. I tried it without the mapping and it worked perfectly. It even showed up in mediainfo. Are there some instances where the mapping is required? Does it have something to do with ffmpeg only outputting 1 audio track by default?

>The output file may have other differences besides simply adding the metadata. It is demuxed then muxed again to >a >new file, so if the input contains atoms that are not understood by the muxer than they may be missing in the >output. >There are some other tools that allow editing in place on quicktime by junking the moov atom and appending >a new >one, perhaps http://www.omino.com/sw/qt_tools/man/qt_info.html or apple's automator.

This sounds worrying.What kind of information could get lost?

Best,

Kieran.
------
This email has been scanned for spam and malware by The Email Laundry.