[FFmpeg-user] Is FFV1 able to encode interlaced video?

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 12:53:38 CEST 2015

MrNice wrote:

> I use the following command. I am not sure if the output file is
> interlaced because mediainfo says nothing about that for FFV1
> encoder.
>
> ./ffmpeg -debug 1 -f pulse -ar 44100 -ac 2 -channel_layout stereo
> -thread_queue_size 512 -i alsa_input.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo
> -f v4l2 -ts mono2abs -channel 1 -video_size 720x576 -pix_fmt yuyv422

Different issue, but as you are using 422 if you ever want to make a dvd
or something that needs 420 you will need to be very careful to make
sure you do an interlaced aware conversion.

-vf scale=interl=1,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p

for example.

Historically at least there are potential issues with this.

IIRC it just won't(didn't) work if you use

ffmpeg ..... -target pal-dvd -flags +ilme+ildct ... as a scaler gets
auto inserted and does a progressive conversion even if you try to
specify interlaced.

This may not apply now - or there may have always been a way I didn't
find. (what I did was avoid using target of course, but that meant
working out the other params the target set).