[FFmpeg-user] How to embed SCC closed caption file into a video file mov/mp4/mpg

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Aug 11 08:51:42 CEST 2015

On 11 Aug 2015, at 00:01, Marcelo Boufleur <mboufleur at gmail.com> wrote:

> I created another SRT file with the fixes and uploaded it to the ffmpeg
> track site. The original SRT also had wrong timmings for the subtitles, and
> that was also fixed.
The corrected one can be added to an mp4 file with ffmpeg doing:
ffmpeg -i source.ext -i source.srt -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text -metadata:s:0:0 language=eng source-with-srt.mp4
If this srt is from a 29.97 recording and the source.ext is 23.97 or 25fps then this can be corrected with
subs.  Search for Subtitles-1.04.tar.gz by Karasik
subs -h
subs: convert, join, split, and re-time subtitles

format:
   subs [options] subfile [ subfile ... ]

   -a coeff, - a and b coefficients in linear transformation
   -b time     u=at+b, where t and u are src and dest times
               ( default(identity transform) is [a=1,b=0] ).
	       -a can be set as ratio, f.ex. 23.9/25
   -c codec  - use codec to write file ( one of: 'srt mdvd sub2 smi idx' )