[FFmpeg-user] format_whitelist and fFMPEG command

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Aug 12 10:20:55 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 17:51:42 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

(A lot more details about container handling.)

Thanks for this, Carl Eugen. I ignored some details, and I got some
pretty wrong. I think it deserves a write-up in the wiki, if it isn't
to be found there yet.

> > If what you're trying to do is to fix the minor
> > differences (which are in atoms apparently), you'll
> > need to do this pre-check for this detail outside of
> > ffmpeg. AtomicParsley comes to mind.
>
> You could also read the console output:
> For mov, it will report "major_brand: qt", for mp4 it
> should be "major_brand: isom".

Ah, so ffmpeg does translate the atomic differences into differing
reports? I just noticed: ffprobe too can display this as
"TAG:major_brand=" ("-show_format"). Nice, I didn't realize that.

Moritz