[FFmpeg-user] How to embed SCC closed caption file into a video file mov/mp4/mpg

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Wed Aug 12 16:42:26 CEST 2015

Hi,

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 11:36 AM, Henk D. Schoneveld <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
> On 11 Aug 2015, at 17:21, Marcelo Boufleur <mboufleur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Indeed, this can be used to add SRT subtitles into MP4, but the original
>> post mentioned if ffmpeg could handle SCC Closed Caption files, and if it
>> could embed these into MOV/MP4/MPEG files.
>>
>> This can be achieved with MacCaptions / CaptionMaker, but the original
>> poster is interested in open source solutions for this workflow.
> Sorry, I interpreted/assumed, that’s where things go wrong, that because of the MOV/MP4 part of the question that QuickTime and compatible players should be able to play those captions. I’m not aware of players that support SCC Closed Caption files, that’s why I suggested a ‘workaround’.

The scc file is common in broadcast environments where equipment regularly supports scc, but not srt. The scc format also has some captioning specific features such as placements and commands for rollup, deletion, line clearing, and others.

>> The problem with Closed Caption is that there are many standards (CEA-608,
>> CEA-708, SCTE-20), and different implementations depending on which final
>> file format you will be choosing.

This challenge with caption tracks doesn't seem a unique problem, video/image/audio/timecode all share this issue.

>> For Elementary MPEG and Quicktime ProRes files you may choose CEA-608 to be
>> embedded into Line 21 of the original video, without reencoding. For HD
>> content, CEA-708 Closed Caption is inserted into VANC data of the original
>> video. You may also choose to use a particular Quicktime track for the
>> Closed Caption for other codecs that use Quicktime container, or if you go
>> through MPEG TS container, you may use a particular PID for that Closed
>> Caption.

IMHO the most common needed scenario for scc is to embed scc as CEA-708/608 data into mpeg2video (such as XDCam). If helpful I can provide a short XDCam sample without captions, a corresponding scc file, and the mux result of captions within xdam.

>> To my knowledge, there are no open source solutions that handle all (if
>> any) of the above situations.

Sounds correct to me.
Dave Rice