[FFmpeg-user] YouTube VP9 vids play in VLC, but ffmpeg VP9 vids won't. Why?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Aug 27 09:41:37 CEST 2015

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:04:04 -0700, ogrgkyle wrote:
> but no matter what I've tried so far, I cannot encode a video that will play
> in VLC.  Only the audio will play.  I have a recent build of ffmpeg.

You are being very secretive, aren't you? It's much easier to analyze
what you may have done wrong if you show us what you actually did.
Usually, we require the command line you used for ffmpeg and the full,
uncut console output.

> The issue appears to resolved when I add "-pix_fmt yuv420p" to the command
> line.  I hope this helps somebody.

And if you had sent us your console output, we would or perhaps
wouldn't have seen a warning issued by ffmpeg. Mine seems to convert to
yuv420p automatically, but I just blindly tried with testsrc,format
input.

(If that warning doesn't exist - it does for H.264 encoding - it might
be worth considering.)

Moritz