[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg based library name

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Aug 27 23:01:51 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 20:34:06 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> I don't know if this name does violate somebody's
> copyright but I wonder how you are going to sell
> a library that is (as you write above) "based on
> FFmpeg" without violating the copyright of the
> FFmpeg developers.

It needs to be said: The "selling" isn't the problematic part. Assuming
the FFmpeg developers put all their work under the GPL or perhaps the
LGPL.

Disclaimer: IANAL.

Moritz

P.S.: BTW, with us not knowing what this derived work is or how it is
derived, there is the possibility that it is derived and distributed
correctly and does not violate the developers' copyrights or the
components' licenses.