[FFmpeg-user] Save webcam stream in mpg, not avi format

Felix Baier felixbaier at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 28 15:43:00 CEST 2015

Hi Eugen —

I have done some more testing of the code and run the camera for a night. I should get 8-9 videos of each one hour length per night. However, I get 4 videos of one hour length, but at twice the speed. The frame rate apparently is unaffected by this (still 25fps), at least as far as it is displayed in the properties of the videos.

I changed “-vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 2” to “-vcodec mpeg4 -q:v 2” after I got a notification that the first version was ambiguous. The complete code I used:

ffmpeg -r 25 -f dshow -s 640x480 -i video="Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000” -vcodec mpeg4 -q:v 2 -f segment -segment_time 3600 -reset_timestamps 1 -segment_start_number 1 -segment_format avi -r 25 c:\Users\Desktop\out%%03d.avi

Any idea what might be going on?

Leo