[FFmpeg-user] Warning on ffmpeg ./configure

Douglas Wire pupcostudios at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 08:39:38 CET 2015

Good morning Moritz, and thank you so much for the reply. I did not notice
it as I signed up for the developers' mailing list as well hoping in future
to add to the project if there was some way possible. While I solved the
riddle, reading your information now is helping me understand more of the
nitty-gritty stuff that I need brush up on to help contribute.

So, yes I noticed trying to set --prefix made not a bit of difference.
Oddly I thought I knew the problem all along, and I did, just was not
finding my way to make sure that I could get "libfdk"and "pkgconfig" path
in as an environmental variable so they associated properly. Part of what
had stumped me was the last time I compiled everything for a web server as
far as ffmpeg, I got two of the same sort of warnings, perhaps something in
setting up this server was a bit different, as I only got the one. After
poking around in my gray matter for a half hour, I decided I should just
add it to my path and if that worked and did not break something else - I
should be OK. So yes it was that easy.

After all the other compiling for this and that into the ffmpeg compile, I
simply executed this:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

I went back and ran make distclean in the ffmpeg source folder and ran
right up to the mile long ./configure - boom a few minutes later no
warnings and ready to make && make install. I don't feel too dumb about
this as I am not an expert with compiling my own materials, but having to
follow sound logic to arrive at the only thing that could be an issue -
(regardless how unlikely it may seem to me at the time) - will always
elevate my understanding of things. So I am most happy to trade time for
knowledge and want to really thank you for replying to me. I noted I signed
up for the developer's mailing list. I am going to in the near future be
working much more heavily with ffmpeg, so in reading those messages, I grab
an astounding amount of knowledge of the project - AND IT IS ALL FREE! I
hope to one day help contribute to this really wonderful project. Thanks
again and have a happy holiday.

Kind regards,
Douglas