[FFmpeg-user] HDR 4K support in ffmpeg

tarun singhal tsinghal18 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:25:51 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Kevin Wheatley <kevin.j.wheatley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:27 PM, Rens Dijkshoorn <rens at offlinemedia.nl>
> wrote:
> > Currently there is no agreed standard how this
> > curve should be defined. The NHK/BBC proposal
> > seems to be the most promising
> >
> > If the input file already has an OETF applied encoding
> > with ffmpeg should be straight forward in 10 bit x264
> > or x265.
> >
> > If you need to apply an OETF or EOTF then the 3dlut filter
> > i.c with the right 3dlut might be the way to go..
>
> If you have correctly ranged OpenEXR files, then the OpenEXR reader
> can apply most of the standard "OETF"/transfer characteristics for
> encoding using '-apply_trc', however the NHK/BBC proposal is not one
> of them as I did not have a good reference/standard document for the
> required values to use in encoded files. It does include SMPTE ST2084
> for instance - though you can be at the whims of the downstream
> conversion functions doing the correct thing.
>
> You will need to flag which ever image state you have using
> '-color_trc' as well - using color_trc would apply if you have already
> correctly encoded images in the cases when ffmpeg is unable to
> determine the correct value (like when fileformats do not support this
> metadata).
>
> Kevin

Hi Team,
Ok, So I understand that ffmpeg doesnt supports HDR encoding. to answer the
question about input format, we dont have any strict definition on input
format it can be anything a simple mp4 video downloaded from youtube or a
raw MXF content straight out of studio.

Are you guys aware of any tools free or commercial in the market that can
independently or work in conjuction with other tools to generate HDR
encoded 4K content?