[FFmpeg-user] HDR 4K support in ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Dec 17 13:25:47 CET 2015

tarun singhal <tsinghal18 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Ok, So I understand that ffmpeg doesnt supports HDR
> encoding.

Several people seem to disagree but it depends on your
definition of HDR.

> to answer the question about input format, we dont
> have any strict definition on input format

Ok.

> it can be anything a simple mp4 video downloaded
> from youtube

Sorry if this is a stupid question:
If the video downloaded from youtube is not HDR-encoded
(it isn't afaik) what difference would it make if
FFmpeg supported HDR (however you define it) or not?

> or a raw MXF content straight out of studio.

How does ffmpeg -i output look for this content?

Carl Eugen