[FFmpeg-user] HDR 4K support in ffmpeg

tarun singhal tsinghal18 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 07:51:05 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> tarun singhal <tsinghal18 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Ok, So I understand that ffmpeg doesnt supports HDR
> > encoding.
>
> Several people seem to disagree but it depends on your
> definition of HDR.
>
> > to answer the question about input format, we dont
> > have any strict definition on input format
>
> Ok.
>
> > it can be anything a simple mp4 video downloaded
> > from youtube
>
> Sorry if this is a stupid question:
> If the video downloaded from youtube is not HDR-encoded
> (it isn't afaik) what difference would it make if
> FFmpeg supported HDR (however you define it) or not?
>
> > or a raw MXF content straight out of studio.
>
> How does ffmpeg -i output look for this content?
>
> Carl Eugen

Hi Carl,

It seems i have created a confusion here...By "ffmpeg supporting HDR
encoding" I meant wether ffmpeg can convert any random video to a 4K HDR
encoded content. I have already tested 4K and it works fine but its this
"HDR" piece thats troubling me and I havent even found a proper solid
source to understand HDR properly. on the top of that, how do we get to
know whether a content is HDR or SDR, is there any tool or a specifc
difference between them which can be reported by a tool?