[FFmpeg-user] Pullup old MPEG-2

llee782 llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 22 01:22:16 CET 2015

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote
> Do you believe that the input video you provided is
> telecined?

I do. What else could explain the fact that the conversion to h264 results
in video that contains no skipped frames when played at 23.94 fps? I know
that 29.97 fps is detected for the original. If that can be explained
another way, I'm not aware of it. After reading your response, I guess my
question is this. What besides telecining (pulldown) can give 5 frames a
duration of 1/6 second at 29.97 fps where the 5th frame is not a duplicate
of the 4th?

When trying to handle these, I always step through the frames for at least
one brief passage to determine whether a pattern per 5 frames is noticeable.
Before I was aware of pulldown,  I just deinterlaced and maintained the
29.97 fps frame rate. It was only after I began to notice the feeling of
being slapped in the face 6 times per second caused by the duplicate frame
during passages of smooth panning that I took the trouble to learn about
pulldown.

Laine

Laine

Laine