[FFmpeg-user] generating a poster uses all my ram

chovy chovy at protonmail.com
Wed Dec 30 06:51:32 CET 2015

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] generating a poster uses all my ram
Local Time: December 29 2015 4:22 pm
UTC Time: December 30 2015 12:22 am
From: cehoyos at ag.or.at
To: ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org

chovy <chovy <at> protonmail.com> writes:

> ffmpeg -y -i "index_700_av-p.m3u8" -vf fps=1/60
> -update 1 "./poster.png" -hls_time 10 -hls_list_size 10
> -hls_wrap 10 -hls_flags delete_segments
> -hls_segment_filename "./video%03d.ts" -c:v copy -c:a copy
> test.m3u8 > test.log 2>&1 &
>
> Here is the log:
>
> ffmpeg version 2.8.3 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers

I cannot reproduce the memory issue, please
test current FFmpeg git head.

i recompile from github source, the problem still persists, and its maxing out CPU as well.

It seems worse, but if I remove the flag below it works fine w/o CPU usage

-vf fps=1/60 -update 1 "./poster.png"

My machine completely comes to a halt at 100% CPU.
Its basically useless as I can't watch any streams in this state.

I'm wondering if there is an alternative way to generate a poster from a stream via a cronjob without trying to do it inside a stream-copy command.