[FFmpeg-user] Create high quality JPEGs

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Feb 10 10:01:33 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 17:56:06 -0800, Elliott Balsley wrote:
> Here is a sample TIFF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B52QuT8oHvtZZkhSUkswUDhJSlU/view?usp=sharing

I personally can't see the artifact. I had to subtract or XOR the two images
to identify the changes.

That said: ffmpeg with -qscale 0, 1, 2 creates (identical) images which
have approximately the same size as a conversion using ImageMagick with
libjpeg (albeit very old) with a "quality" setting of around 89%, which
is not generally considered "very good". YMMV

I'm trying to say: At first glance, ffmpeg either compresses much more
effectively (which I doubt) or doesn't use a high enough quality
setting. Whether that is intended, and whether the various qscale
settings should result in identical files, I can't say.

Moritz