[FFmpeg-user] what's the best hardware build out?

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Feb 10 11:54:00 CET 2015

On 09 Feb 2015, at 07:32, jarhead4067 <mrjarhead at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a long-time developer/noob to FFMpeg, so bear with me.  I've got a
> requirement for a system to split video files into thumbnails (1 thumbnail
> per second of video).  The input video format will be all over the place
> (i.e. .mp4, .flv, etc), video length all over the place (30 seconds to 2
> hours), and at wildly different resolutions.  Also, we'll need to support
> processing thousands of videos daily.  The plan is to use the following
> ffmpeg command line (this will be ran in multiple processes so all available
> threads are used):
>
> ffmpeg -i sourcevideo.mp4 -y -vf scale=100:-1 -r 1 frame_%6d.jpg
>
> I'm going to be building out a dedicated Windows based system for this.
> Outside of throwing as much CPU as possible at it (Core i7-4790), are there
> any other suggestions on what an ideal hardware build out should be, i.e.
> SSD, GPUs, etc?  Also, is that the best (fastest) FFMpeg command line for
> what I'm trying to do here?
I don’t think it’s a CPU-intensive task, IO will probably your bottleneck. I suggest to run a few parallel samples. The result will be an awful lot of small files to write to disk while reading the sources at the same time. SSD is your only option, it’s tps, transactions per secondd that count in this case. Further you mention that lenght goes up to 2 hours, so you will produce 7200 jpegs, I don’t know, but does every filesystem accept that amount of files in one directory ?