[FFmpeg-user] Using ffmpeg to create video wall

Matt Conway conwayxd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:39:07 CET 2015

I am looking to create a Pi wall using an IP camera (RTSP, h264 output) as
the input file for my video wall which will be ouput over UDP to a private
network.

I am going to be using a Windows 8 computer as the master with several Pis
as the clients.
So far I have tested the setup with a standard 4 tile setup following the
tutorial here
<http://www.piwall.co.uk/information/10-create-your-own-gpl-movie-piwall>.
It played the "Big Buck Bunny" test footage fine.
I have got the wall working with the IP camera feed but it crashes with an
error between 30-60 seconds, with the error "missing picture in access
unit".

The command I am using on the master -
"ffmpeg -i rtsp://StreamUrl -r 30 -an -f avi udp://UdpUrl"

and the command on the clients (For top left tile)-
"avconv --tile-code=41 udp://239.0.1.23:1234"

I cannot get the wall to pick up anything other than avi and I cannot get
any -vcodec settings to work so if this is the cause of the issue then I do
apologise for my lack of knowledge on the subject! When trying to use
libx264 it returns an error to use -vpre but this does not work either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt