[FFmpeg-user] Streaming to ustream/twitch from Raspberry Pi

Matt Conway conwayxd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:16:40 CET 2015

"Are you intending to re-encode? Do you not want to stream copy instead?
http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Stream-copy

Do you really want to be using flv1 as the encoder? It's old and crappy.

Also, I am not familiar with your device, but can it even handle
encoding 1280x720 at your desired frame rate (with libx264)?"

Ideally I wouldn't encode. copy hasn't worked for me previously either!

"Interestingly, neither twitch nor ustream seem to support flv1
according to their FAQs. ustream explicitly notes that RTSP IP cameras
need to be restreamed as RTMP. (They write "RTMP encoder", but I
suppose in ffmpeg terms, that's a muxer/protocol.) They appparently
leave it open to use ffmpeg or Wowza or whatever."

It is being restreamed over RTMP protocol. I wasn't particularly sure why I
had to re-encode it as a Flash video but I've only been following a quick
tutorial so far.