[FFmpeg-user] Splitting TS files

Benjamin Rapaport barapa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:02:38 CET 2015

I have an HLS m3u8 playlist and corresponding TS files. Given a timestamp,
I would like to find the TS file that contains that timestamp, and then
split that TS file into two parts as close to that timestamp as possible,
either at a keyframe or possibly by forcing a new keyframe where I want to
split.

The split files need to play back in the HLS stream as seamlessly as if I
had not made the split. I will be adding a discontinuity tag in the HLS
between the two new TS files as there could be another stream inserted
there during playback. Again, the playback in this case needs to be
seamless as well.

Is this something that I can accomplish with ffmpeg?