[FFmpeg-user] How can I determine if a 10bit videofile has full 10bit video data or 8bit (+ 2bits zeros) data

Christoph Gerstbauer christophgerstbauer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:10:38 CET 2015

Hi

I am searching for a possibility to check if a 10bit 4:2:2 videofile
(v210 codec or ffvhuff codec) has
a) 8bit+2empty bits or
b) full 10bit data
in the video stream.

For example:
MPEG-IMX tapes has only 8bit videodata on tape but via SDI you can
capture 10bit video -> After that I want to check if the VTR SDI out has
a upscaled the 8bit video to 10bit or just kept it as 8bit.
Additionally it would be also a good solution for 8/10bit checking if
you have a digital betacam (10bit) tape which was recorded from an IMX
tape (8bit).

best regards
Christoph