[FFmpeg-user] Cutdetection (dynamic threshold) and Fadedetection with ffmpeg

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Thu Jan 22 17:54:42 CET 2015

Hi Christoph,

> On Jan 22, 2015, at 3:18 AM, Christoph Gerstbauer <christophgerstbauer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> Is it possible to detect cuts with ffmpeg by using a DYNAMIC threshold?

The YDIF value in the signalstats filter could show this.
ffprobe -f lavfi movie=DETECT_CUTS.mov,signalstats -show_entries "frame_tags=lavfi.signalstats.YDIF” -of flat

Perhaps filter out lines where YDIF is higher than 10.

> Additionally: Is it possible to detect fades? (Blackfades, Crossfades)

Could start with something like:
ffprobe -f lavfi movie=DETECT_CUTS.mov,signalstats -show_entries "frame_tags=lavfi.signalstats.YHIGH” -of flat

You’d have to detect what rate of change is occurring in YHIGH over time. For crossfades maybe finding patterns in YDIF would help bit I suspect it would be hard to detect this very accurately.

> Best Regards
> Christoph

Best Regards,
Dave