[FFmpeg-user] transcoding mp3 to wav

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Jan 23 17:47:12 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 09:54:04 -0500, Dave Rice wrote:

> Just to be picky, the WAV container can contain compressed audio data
> so if pcm is not needed, one could control a lossy bitrate if using a
> lossy codec that WAV supports. Not sure if ffmpeg supports any lossy
> codec in WAV but the specification does allow it.

I agree and I know, I disclaimed that somewhere in the beginning of the
thread. But it's orthogonal to what the OP is trying to achieve any.
Not that I really understand what it means - it's probably some
simplification, and in no way valid for PCM. (I'm sure there are lossy
codecs which introduce phase shift - if not, we can invent one. ;-))

Moritz