[FFmpeg-user] Actual bitrate is lower than target

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jul 15 10:08:02 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 01:29:54 +0200, James Darnley wrote:
> If, for some inexplicable reason, you want to inflate the size you can
> do any or all of the following:
> - use "faster" options
> - scale to a bigger size
> - add noise
> - use bitstream padding.  I recall that there was an option to pad the
> bitstream but that may have been in the x264 command line encoder and
> not ffmpeg.

The last point seems to be "--nal-hrd" in the command line. I have seen
examples passing it via ffmpeg's "-x264opts", such as here:
http://www.helping-squad.com/ffmpeg-transcode-copy-flv-to-mp4-and-more/
but ffmpeg's libx264 encoder/wrapper does seem to support ("-nal-hrd")
it directly, since this commit:
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/ffmpeg.git/?a=commit;h=9bf41210a9a7511f44ea1d7fd2646430889a7c2b

Moritz