[FFmpeg-user] Error reading 10bit H264 in Matroska

Leo Izen leo.izen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:02:36 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have a peculiar case. I have a matroska file that's got an h264 stream
inside. When I play this file with ffplay, it plays fine. However,
ffmpeg cannot read it correctly.

The h264 stream inside of the mkv has a mistake and ffmpeg is having
trouble detecting the parameters such as the pixel format. (The pixel
format is yuv420p10le.) FFmpeg lists the pixel format as "none" and does
not list a profile, despite the stream being yuv420p10le in the High 10
profile. Attempting to isolate the stream by placing it inside an mp4 or
a matroska container using -codec copy creates a file with very unsmooth
playback, caused by misaligned DTS timestamps. FFmpeg does recognize the
pixel format of the resulting file as yuv420p10le, but the playback
still ends up very unsmooth. Attempting to transcode the stream stops at
the filtergraph (even an empty filtergraph - it stops at buffer) due to
an unrecognized pixel format "-1".

The weirdest thing is that none of this happens with ffplay - the file
plays fine, even with extra stress (like video filters). I'm confused as
to why ffplay can play the file correctly, given that ffmpeg can't make
heads or tails of it, as though it's corrupted. Something seems odd there.

My FFmpeg is built from Git Master on Linux Mint 17.2 (A derivative of
Ubuntu 14.04).
Uncut FFmpeg outputs and commands - http://pastebin.com/ZZeDPRLH
This is the FFplay output of it playing fine - http://pastebin.com/tjJUuge7

What is the issue here? How can I fix it?

-Leo Izen