[FFmpeg-user] How to consider bitrate, -maxrate and -bufsize

Robin Lery robinlery at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:16:23 CEST 2015

I am using ffmpeg to encode my videos. Saw this post
<https://www.virag.si/2012/01/web-video-encoding-tutorial-with-ffmpeg-0-9/>
about using ffmpeg. And didn't quite get it. I wanted to know how to
consider bitrate of a video.

Suppose I have a video of size 70 MB. And the Duration is 4 minutes. Now
how would I consider the value for these flags : -b:v, -maxrate and
-bufsize, in this command?

ffmpeg -i input -codec:v libx264 -profile:v main -preset slow -b:v *?*
-maxrate *?* -bufsize *?* -vf "scale=720:trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -threads 0
-codec:a libfdk_aac -movflags +faststart output

I would really appreciate your help and guidance. Thank you.