[FFmpeg-user] Running multiple ffmpeg commands with minimal loss in quality

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Mon Jul 27 12:54:07 CEST 2015

On 07/25/2015 11:53 AM, MrNice wrote:
>> The standard approach to this kind of issue is to use (as close to)
> losslessly encoded intermediate files as possible. I.e. either use a
> codec designed for lossless encoding such as "HuffYUV", or use something
> like x264 with "lossless" settings.
> Why do you add " " around lossless for x264. Is x264 still lossy even
> with "lossless" setting?

Don't worry: x264-lossless is really lossless.

At least, according to my tests:
http://download.das-werkstatt.com/pb/mthk/info/video/comparison_video_codecs_containers.html#codec_tests

What might also be interesting is, that these tests show that FFV1.3
encodes and decodes a lot faster than x264-lossless:

encoding/decoding FPS:
x264: 94 / 190 fps
FFV1.3: 216 / 277 fps

> BTW what is/are it/they?