[FFmpeg-user] Could ffmpeg mask a transparent background videoto a common video?

Bouke (VideoToolShed) bouke at videotoolshed.com
Mon Jun 1 13:26:15 CEST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
To: <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2015 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] Could ffmpeg mask a transparent background
videoto a common video?

> Nemo <377307289 <at> qq.com> writes:
>
>> Transparent background video means video with alpha channel.
>> I wish to do this with command line.
>
> Are you searching for the overlay filter?

Carl,
I don't think so. (But i can't see the original post for some reason)
I think he wants to have video with alpha, so it can be processed elsewhere.
FFmpeg supports this if the input has alpha, perhaps not on all output
codecs.
PNG works for sure.
No idea if FFmpeg can merge two streams to one video, one alpha, let alone
if it can convert between straight and premultiplied alpha.

Bouke