[FFmpeg-user] Subtle HLS segmenting playback glitch

Bryan Murphy bmurphy1976 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 23:58:27 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Bryan Murphy <bmurphy1976 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running into a problem using ffmpeg to segment files into HLS (m3u8)
> format for playback on iOS devices.  In the ffmpeg segmented version of
> this file, there is a very subtle stutter just as the two adults walk
> underneath the 9.  This appears to be some kind of single-frame glitch.
>
> The stutter always happen at HLS segment boundaries.  When it happens it
> is always visible on iOS devices (play it in Safari on an iPad) and only
> sometimes visible in QuickTime on OSX.
>
> I have never been able to reproduce this glitch using Apple's media file
> segmenter and the glitch is not present in the source video.

To follow up on this with more information,  ffmpeg 2.7.1 exhibits the same
problem.  I also did a comparison of frames using ffprobe -show_frames and
the 720 frames from input.ts are appear to be properly replicated into the
segmented files (270, 270, and 180 frames respectively).  I'm at a loss
what to do next.  There is very clear video corruption being introduced by
ffmpeg but I don't know how to diagnose the underlying problem.

Thanks,
Bryan