[FFmpeg-user] Using ffmpeg to "rescue" a damaged dvd

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Mar 3 11:09:17 CET 2015

Hi vsethi,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 18:03:34 -0500, vsethi at iglou.com wrote:
> I haven't been able to figure out how to increase analyzeduration and
> probesize nor what values to increase them to.

Have you considered looking at the documentation?
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html

Particularly in this section:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#Format-Options

I believe the maximum value depends on the timebase and on the format,
you should just give it a try first.

> I've tried:  ffmpeg -i source.iso -target ntsc-video source.out
>
> ffmpeg quits quickly with a series of error messages:

The full, uncut console output of
$ ffmpeg -i source.iso -analyzeduration M -probesize N
(using your choices of increased M and N) could be very helpful.

What also comes to mind:
- There may be junk at the beginning which ffmpeg can't interpret. That
  could be cut away. But we wouldn't know with a (sub-)sample.
- vlc can not only play, but also output to a stream (to be piped to
  ffmpeg) or even convert/re-mux itself, using ffmpeg's libav
  libraries. If only vlc masters to "see" the video, that would be a
  good choice.

Moritz