[FFmpeg-user] avfoundation on osx 10.7.5: issues with audio input

John Robinson jrobinsonmedia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 03:11:29 CET 2015

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 7:13 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>
> John Robinson <jrobinsonmedia <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I ended up modifying the code to make things work
>> with both the mini's line-in, and soundflower.
>
> I applied your patch, thank you!
> Consider sending a unified diff next time...
>
> Carl Eugen

Absolutely! I never intended it to be an official patch, just wanted to share what I thought was the right code to get things working.

Unfortunately I'm running into problems with this machine still, that may be due to hardware limitations.

I'm generating recordings, but the audio is unusable. I get short bursts of audio. I'm not doing anything fancy with ffmpeg but I may be missing something simple.

ffmpeg -f avfoundation -i "0:1" out.mpg

I've tried flv, mp4, avi, mov, etc

I also tried recording with QuickTime player to rule out soundflower. Audio worked great there, but video frame rate was horrible. I'm hoping for 30fps decent quality video (watchable on a tv) and of course audio. I'm not building a real time streaming thing, but do plan on streaming ffmpeg's output through ffserver.

I'm going to test with soundflower on my newer mac and see if audio is any better.

-JR