[FFmpeg-user] FFv1 - encoding problem with pixelformats "gbrp10le" and "gbrp12le"

Christoph Gerstbauer christophgerstbauer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 10:03:17 CET 2015

> What is unclear about this error message?
> (Note that I usually don't request an
> increased loglevel because it can make
> seeing the actual issue more difficult
> like in this case.)
>
> The error message is meant to be shown in
> red to make it easier to read: Does this
> not work on your terminal?

  Hello Carl

the error message is shown in red, right :) It was my mistake.

I ignored it frivolously, because I was used to be ffv1 always choose
automatically the coder 1 if the pixfmt is higher than 8 bit, because:

if I choose yuv pixel formats with more than 8bit like these examples :
yuv422p10le
yuv422p16le
yuv444p10le

than the ffv1 encoder automatically forces to CODER 1 as seen here:

     [ffv1 @ 00000000003a6040] bits_per_raw_sample > 8, forcing coder 1

Now I am testing rgb pixelformats higher than 8bit like "gbrp10le"
(which I did not before), and it does not change automatically to CODER 1:

     [ffv1 @ 00000000003a6020] bits_per_raw_sample of more than 8 needs
-coder 1 currently (IN RED COLOR)

Do you have any idea why ffv1 only changes the coder automatically in
yuv pixel formats?

Best Regards
Christoph