[FFmpeg-user] Questions about readout important metadata from DPX files ("logarthmic/linear") and recreate DPX with same metadata

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Mar 9 20:50:09 CET 2015

Christoph Gerstbauer <christophgerstbauer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > (This is not the first time that I am slightly
> > surprised people use FFmpeg to prove that an
> > encoder of FFmpeg is lossless.)
> Do you have any ideas for proving the
> losslessness with other tools than ffmpeg?

You could use gm to convert both the original
and the converted file to a raw format and
compare.

But let me try it differently:
You have an input file with a logarithmic
colour space that is not supported by FFmpeg.
If you are sure that you know what you are
doing, you can of course use FFmpeg to
compress your raw data (I believe ffv1 was
tested much better already but this is not
really related). But while the data will
still be identical the colourspace will
be linear because FFmpeg only supports
linear colourspaces. So you will will have
to "know" that the actual content is
logarithmic when you use it again (or
write the transfer information when
creating the file).

It appears to me that gm ignores the
transfer information just like FFmpeg, I
tested with:
$ gm convert -define tiff:bits-per-sample=16 LOG_ORIGINAL.dpx out.tif

Carl Eugen