[FFmpeg-user] format for internet explorer post 8

Eric Gunther egunther at warwick.net
Sun Mar 29 00:13:42 CET 2015

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015, at 02:21 PM, Tim Hiles wrote:
> try
>
> ffmpeg -i screencap_12-27-140000-0250.avi -c:v libx264 -qscale:v 22
> -async
> 1 -c:a  aac -strict experimental -movflags +faststart krill_screencap.mp4
>
> and see if that works.

The input has no audio, and why suggest '-async 1'? Also, libx264
ignores '-qscale', so the default of '-crf 23' will be used instead.

The actual solution is shown in the console output:

"No pixel format specified, yuv444p for H.264 encoding chosen.
 Use -pix_fmt yuv420p for compatibility with outdated media players."

Of course, another solution is to use a more capable player.

Unfortunately that does not seem to jive with what I am seeing, I did notice that message,
and thought about it.  I am fairly amateur at HTML but I embedded the video with,

<video width="512" height="392" controls preload="auto">
  <source src="screencast_krill-animate.ogg" type="video/ogg">
  <source src="screencast_krill-animate.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="screencast_krill-animate.webm" type="video/webm">
  <source src="krill_cap.wmv" type="video/wmv">
<object>
<embed src="screencast_krill-animate.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="392">
</object>
</video>

Trying a number of different techniques to get the video to play.  Anyway, this may not have been expected
so I mention that I am not using a player just direct from the HTML.  I am using current or near to current
IE on current or near to current Windows.  On pre-IE 9 I can get video but more current I have problems.
Also, I don't get a video to play with ".wmv" either.  Instead I get an option to download and play in Windows
Media Player.