[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe -show_frames values

Werner Robitza werner.robitza at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:13:28 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Joel Lopez <badassmexican at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the help.  It's making a bit of sense now.  It looks like my
> keyframes are 1/3 of a second.  Is less than 2 seconds apart ok?

For adaptive streaming the keyframes should be at regular intervals.
That means, for encoding, you'll have to specify a keyframe interval
and disable scene cut detection, if any.

> In the pict_type field I'm seeing B's and P's with one I.  Does that
> translate to how far apart they are?

Use this command, which gives you output that's easier to read:

ffprobe -select_streams v -show_frames -of csv -show_entries
frame=pkt_pts_time, pict_type

Now, assuming the PTS time increases in regular intervals, it'll be
quite easy to count the distance (in number of frames) between
I-frames, and the time interval. Just do the subtraction of the PTS
between two consecutive I-frames.