[FFmpeg-user] Extracting multiple audio stream into one file

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu May 7 20:50:58 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 23:14:20 +0200, loeffler at eyetrap.net wrote:
> Updating the version is not that easy because I am working in a large
> render farm environment - but I will bring up this topic to the admins.

You should be able to install software as a user, without special
permissions. Notably the binaries as pointed out by Lou. (This depends
on your environment of course.)

At least for testing whether a newer version changes anything in the
processing of your file, please find a newer ffmpeg. Even if you just
try it on a personal (non-render-farm) machine first.

> I tried your suggestion but I am getting an error: "Data stream
> encoding not supported yet (only streamcopy)"

The word "yet" correlates with what Lou pointed out: Your version is
very old. You wouldn't even know whether it works with a current
version without trying.

> ffmpeg  -i '/storage/orig_qt/SUB_01_INGEST.mov' -map 0 -acodec: copy -vn '/storage/orig_qt/SUB_01_INGEST.wav'

First you were encoding to ac3, now to wav. This from your first email:

> ffmpeg  -i '/storage/orig_qt/SUB_01_INGEST.mov' -vn '/storage/orig_qt/SUB_01_INGEST_audio.ac3'

Different approaches will lead to different problems. ;-) Please be
precise and consistent.

Moritz