[FFmpeg-user] embedding subtitles missing features when apply fonts?

Sub Phil phil4000n at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:25:06 CEST 2015

> I believe SRT will allow you to set the text color.
Yes, if I encode in mkv container, instead of mp4, it does work.

> Does MP4 "streaming text format" or 3GPP TS 26.245 Timed Text allow
  any formatting?
No the foggiest idea.
Now, if I extract the srt from the output mp4, it shows that it lost all
its font formating.
In a 2nd attempt, I tried to convert from mkv to mp4, but I failed.

ffmpeg -i out.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s srt outConverted.mp4
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
  Stream #0:2 -> #0:2 (subrip (srt) -> subrip (srt))
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?):
Invalid argument

So the question being indeed:
1/ does mp4 supports it?
(As separated mp4 and srt it does).