[FFmpeg-user] FFMpeg + HTTP protocol: RAM consumption

Nicolas Menciere nmenciere at sportarchive.tv
Mon Nov 9 20:54:26 CET 2015

Hello,

We are using FFProbe and FFMpeg with the http protocol.

We noticed a spike of memory consumption when we activated http compared to
using local files. I guess FFmpeg caches in memory what's coming from http.

What is the consumption pattern here? Is memory being freed along the way?
Will it cache the entire file?

How can I accurately estimate how much memory my machine needs for running
this type of jobs? (in this case a Docker container)

Thank you in advance.

--
Nicolas Menciere
ᐧ