[FFmpeg-user] [FFmpeg-devel] [SURVEY] Summary of first 2015 survey

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Sun Nov 15 20:37:54 CET 2015

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM, compn <tempn at mi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 15:19:05 +0100
> Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> So the October/November 2015 FFmpeg survey ended, so as promised here
>> is a summary. It was planed for yesterday but due to some unfortunate
>> national issues it was kind of postponed to today...
>
> great work. thanks everyone who took the time to fill out the survey.
>
>> Misc comments
>> -------------
>>  - more developed ffplay (hwaccel, doc), mpts (?) options
>
> are we going to focus on ffplay to reinvent the media player wheel when
> there is vlc and mplayer? i'm not against it, just asking. i know
> ffplay is used somewhat on android, is that the biggest market for
> ffplay?

I personally use ffplay exclusively for media playback. On the other
hand, I have not focused on it much and will not in the future. I also
believe focusing on it is not productive for the same reasons as you
point out here. If one goes strictly by client usage, I suspect the
ffmpeg CLI and libavcodec are the two most important things.
In hindsight, we should have included this in our poll - some kind of
ranking between different libs and utilities.

Also, I think this will take care of itself naturally: most devs here
are not very interested in it.
As for why someone would use it on Android, no idea - VLC for instance
has a very capable Android client that is FOSS and uses a minimal set
of permissions - they are one of the few Android apps who actually
remove permissions in a new release :).