[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg screencapture from a virtual xserver larger than the physical screen

Zenny garbytrash at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 20:35:49 CET 2015

On 11/19/15, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 08:07:59PM +0100, Zenny wrote:
>> >
>> > Your build of FFmpeg seems to be missing it. You probably need to
>> > rebuild
>> > or
>> > ask to the person who provided it. Maybe "-f xv" will work for you, but
>> > it
>> > is significantly inferior to opengl.
>>
>> With -f xv, I got:
>>
>> "Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters
>> ?): Not yet implemented in FFmpeg, patches welcome"
>>

> This is missing the error message above, which is "Unsupported pixel
> format ...". So try -pix_fmt yuv420p.

Merci beaucoup, Clément et Nicolos, adding -pix_fmt yuv420p made it work.

However I am confused how does x2x glue with ffmpeg-piped display?!

I tried with '$x2x -east -to :99" in a localhost, but the mouse and
keyboard does not get activated into the piped window.

Or do I have to ssh into the server running xvfb instance from outside
to make it work?