[FFmpeg-user] Remux MPEG-TS file fails: Mid-stream changes?

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 02:00:58 CET 2015

Peter B. wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> For archiving purposes, TV shows are recorded - coming in as MPEG-TS
> stream (H.264/AAC).
> I've encountered a problem with a file:
>
> - In some players (e.g. VLC) audio plays fine at the beginning, but is
> mute when the actual program starts.
> - It "seems" that the audio samplerate changes mid-stream between 48kHz
> and 44.1kHz.

vlc uses faad by default and that does fail to play it after the change.
It's possible to tell vlc to use ffmpeg to decode aac.

I don't think it's sample rate. Chopping the ts gives -

Audio: aac (HE-AACv2) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp,
63 kb/s

for the first part and for the second -

Audio: aac (HE-AAC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 63
kb/s

As already noted ffmpeg aacdec does play it, but starts throwing errors
which with mplayer at least don't flood at normal verbosity.