[FFmpeg-user] Warning on ffmpeg ./configure

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Nov 30 22:33:05 CET 2015

Hi Douglas,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:59:11 -0500, Douglas Wire wrote:
> "WARNING: using libfdk without pkg-config"
>
> Seeing this I have triple checked the config entry for ffmpeg and
> everything I can see is correct. So I went back to libfdk-aac and cleaned
> it up and recompiled it adding the path to the only pkg-config file I could
> find via adding, "--prefix="/usr/bin" to the config. This made no extra
> warnings and had zero effect on that build, as well it output all the same
> things when I recompiled ffmpeg. No change at all.

If you look at ./configure, you will see which checks happen:
This first check apparently fails:
$ use_pkg_config fdk-aac "fdk-aac/aacenc_lib.h" aacEncOpen
While this second attempt then works in your installation:
$ require libfdk_aac fdk-aac/aacenc_lib.h aacEncOpen -lfdk-aac
The latter is, sort of, the "manual" check for headers, libraries and
symbols.

The former check does this first:
$ pkg-config --exists --print-errors fdk-aac
and checks its return value. I think that already fails for you.

What does the command
$ pkg-config --exists --print-errors fdk-aac; echo $?
return for you?

Is your pkgconfig file located exactly here?
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/fdk-aac.pc

If that isn't one of your problems, there are other things that could
be looked at, but it's not worth typing that much right now. ;-)

BTW, "--prefix="/usr/bin" should change exactly nothing (and is
irrelevant for a library).

Moritz