[FFmpeg-user] Guidance on converting images to video

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Oct 11 00:09:17 CEST 2015

Hi Joseph,

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 21:51:51 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> With some of my attempts to encode with compression, the output
> becomes composed of segments which simply stall as if it were skipping
> frames, whereas the following seems like a start:

If you need help in analyzing issues, you will have to provide the
full, uncut console output in addition to the command line.

> With some of my attempts to encode with compression, the output
> becomes composed of segments which simply stall as if it were skipping
> frames,

And that's definitely not an issue on the player's side?

> however it takes too long. I have over a dozen groups of images appearing
> every 10 minutes and I already use a message passing cluster to offload
> encoding onto multiple hosts.
>
> Is there a more applicable scheme for use with JPEG images of this size
> or a better route to take in general?

There may be encoders which are faster than libx264, but it certainly
depends on which size, speed, quality hit you are willing to take, what
formats and codecs the player supports (i.e. what's your target), and
so on. (Sorry, that's not helpful. Others may have tips, or you may
want to experiment.)

Moritz