[FFmpeg-user] HEVC decoding of first frame

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Oct 16 11:37:44 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:22:35 +0200, Christian Herglotz wrote:
> When timing the process I found that the decoding of the
> first frame always takes twice as long as the decoding of all the other
> frames.

I'm not sure I consider the test you provide as valid.

a) Initializing a decoder has (some) overhead. That aligns your numbers
a bit more.

b) HEVC does not only consist of I-frames (unless you claim the
opposite of your content). Who says P- or B-frames are easier/faster to
decode than I-frames?

That's just the theory from me. Someone who knows the code could help
more, or someone who is willing to add the benchmarking macros into the
code and rebuild. :-)

Cheers,
Gruß nach Franken,
Moritz