[FFmpeg-user] GPL implications of ffmpeg in the browser

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Oct 24 00:40:24 CEST 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:05:55 -0400, Tom Grant wrote:

> I have found a version of ffmpeg compiled for execution in the
> browser: https://bgrins.github.io/videoconverter.js/

That looks pretty much like a proof of concept to me, but I'm impressed
by the demo. ;-)

> I know you are not lawyers, but would I have to GPL my application as
> well? All of the front end javascript is distributed to the browser
> anyway, but this will be a for-profit business.

IANAL, but GPL and for-profit business are not mutually exclusive.

Their particular ffmpeg-JavaScript seems to be compiled as GPL, not
LGPL. That *may* have an impact on the license of the JavaScript that
uses it (i.e. in particular your application), but that's really too
complex for me.

Moritz