[FFmpeg-user] GPL implications of ffmpeg in the browser

Tom Grant thomas.aw.grant at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 03:02:09 CEST 2015

The question stands with LGPL or GPL. Can I use a browser-based version of ffmpeg without having to release my whole project as open-source?

Maybe I am not understanding this correctly, but I would need to include libx264 in the distribution to encode videos to that format right? And doing so would apply the GPL to the entirety of ffmpeg (which might apply the GPL to my whole project). Am I right in thinking this?

Tom

On October 23, 2015 at 8:55:24 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos (cehoyos at ag.or.at) wrote:

Tom Grant <thomas.aw.grant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Most of it uses the LGPL, but an encoder that I need
> (specifically libx264) are licensed under GPL I believe.

So you do not have a license problem with FFmpeg but
with x264 or do I misunderstand?

Carl Eugen