[FFmpeg-user] H.264 to jpeg thumbnail

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Sep 9 16:40:31 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 15:48:29 +0200, Henk D. Schoneveld wrote:
> Could you post the mentioned jpg's ?
> Watched them on OSX but don't see the things you're describing, maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Process the input with
$ ffmpeg -i clock.ts -t 2 clock.%04d.jpg

and compare 0056.jpg, 0057.jpg and 0058.jpg. The second hand should be
progressing, but it doesn't... Actually, 0056 and 0058 look identical,
and 0057 looks backward in time (and as if it had interlace artefacts).
I only had a short look at PTS and DTS in the source file, but couldn't
make sense of it.

I claim that this "problem" exists in the source file. Unless VLC and
mplayer have a demuxing problem common with ffmpeg.

Moritz