[FFmpeg-user] Best settings for FFV1

Etienne Desautels etienne.desautels at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 23:56:42 CEST 2015

Hi,

I will start using FFV1 to archive video for a museum and I will like to know what's the best settings to get smaller files. I will use version 3 with checksums. From the few tests I did I found that those settings were the best for smaller files:
    - coder 1
    - context 0
    - g 1
    - slices 4

I really don't know what to think about context size. Somewhere else I saw that large context create smaller files. But in my tests that was the inverse.

I also tried 2 pass without any success. The final file were exactly the same size as the one created with 1 pass. And the log of the 2 pass was filled only with 0 except for the last number that was something like 843?

Any advices?

Regards,
Etienne Desautels